tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 24 11:38:53 1995

Re: }} DIGEST V1 #60

>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 20:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>But perhaps a simple way you could say it is: {ngab rIntaH pagh.} (Nothing
>completely vanishes.)

I don't think I buy this one.  For starters, I think the word-order sounds
better as "ngab pagh rIntaH", but also it doesn't seem right.  rIntaH
doesn't seem to make sense in the negative.  It's a sentence in its own
right, modifying another in a unique way.  You can say "X happened, and
it's done" but saying "X doesn't happen and it's done" doesn't work (after
all, rIntaH is sort of like "and it remains accomplished."  If it didn't
happen or can't happen, then it DOESN'T remain accomplished).

Besides, to talk about something doing something "completely" or
"perfectly", the Klingon Grammarians in their generosity have bequeathed
unto us "-chu'".

~mark

Back to archive top level