tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 21 07:55:40 1995

Re: }} DRG

>On Teus, 19 Sept. 95,
>charghwI' writes...
>
>>Just today, reading episode #18 of the Door Repair Guy, I saw
>>the word {ta} used to in reference to an endurance record.
>
>This is the first reference I've seen to DRG on this list.  I
>didn't think anyone else read it.
>
>But since someone has, I wanted to ask how I would go about
>uploading a song (poem really) to the FTP site.  It's a song in
>tlhingan-Hol about one of the minor characters in DRG, Captain
>Klank.  It's about 50 verses long, so I didn't want to send it to
>the list.

I didn't know anyone else in KLI was reading it either.  chargwI' has been
going through it episode by episode and e-mailing me his criticisms of the
tlhIngan Hol.  {ta} in episode 18 is the first innovation he's found that
is both original and apparently correct.  He's found a lot of boners.
(Maybe howlers would be a better word in the context.)  I hope to
incorporate his corrections into the text some day, but it'll be a big job,
so in the meantime I plan to edit them together into an appendix to go
after the stories.

There are a number of ways to get to DRG.  You've already found one
obviously, but here's the rest:

     To access Door Repair Guy, telnet to [email protected]
(134.117.1.22.), enter as "guest" (without the quotation marks),
enter your terminal type (put "dumb" if you don't know) (sorry, I
didn't make this up), type "go boldly", and choose item 4 (Creative
Area), then 2 (Door Repair Guy).  DRG can also be accessed via the
World Wide Web.  Use the address http://www.ncf.carleton.ca, and
head for the Star Trek area.  Or, to get there by Gopher, try
gopher.ncf.carleton.ca.  Or try:

http://journal.biology.carleton.ca/People/ajeanes/doorguy/intro.html

There are in effect two sites for DRG, one in the Creative Area of
the National Capital Freenet Star Trek group, and the other in Andrew
Jeanes' web site.  I know chargwI' is reading the latter, and probably
you are too.  Anyway, to upload to either site, e-mail the text to me
([email protected]) or Andrew ([email protected]) and
it'll get installed.  Better e-mail it to me, as I don't think Andrew
knows about KLI and he might wonder what's going on.

Okay, about the song.  I have to tell you I'm very gratified that someone
is responding to DRG in the same sort of way that DRG responds to ST.
When I sit down and pull out my hair trying to resolve some impossible
plot twist I'll be able to say truthful that this has gotten bigger than
any one of us.  I'm a complete Pakled, so I have no idea how these things
are done, but maybe Andrew can do a hypertext thing that allows the reader
to click on the name Klank and go directly to your poem.

Speaking of Klank.  The episode "Klank" (# 033) is the only DRG I've
written in less than 24 hours.  Normally I take about two weeks to do an
episode, writing it bit by bit before work or in the evening as things
occur to me.  But I had just finished "Thresold" on a Friday and had an
urge to keep going and see what happened.  I had really only planned to do
a Klingon two-parter called "The Good Sister" about Marguerite DuraS, but
then I wrote the scene with the Klingons in the Infirmary and it took off
on a tangent, and what with four ships in the Gamma Quadrant I didn't get
it all wrapped up until the fifth part, and that was a struggle.

So please send me the poem and I'll get it installed.  And let me know
which site you're reading; it'll help me figure out which one is the
happenin' place.

Qapla'.

Douglas (no Klingon name yet)

Back to archive top level