tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 19 16:59:21 1995

Re: }} Q: -Ha'

According to Marc Ruehlaender:
> anyway, I have learned to live with the idea, that
> -Ha' is the opposite (smiling innocently)

maj.

> just what is the diiference between
>
> tIn		and 		machHa'
>
> you say, there isn't any?

There are many words in English that can be seen in these
terms. What is the difference between "trivial" and
"unimportant"? One is a positive measurement and the other is a
negative measurement netting the same quality. How about
"stressed" vs. "uneasy" or "uncomfortable"? You can either
"loosen" a screw or "unscrew" it. You can be "cruel" or
"unkind". These word pairs are just different words for the
same thing and trying to deeply involve yourself in discerning
the difference given how indefinite we are about the precise
meaing of so many of the words, this is probably futile.

Just today, reading episode #18 of the Door Repair Guy, I saw
the word {ta} used to in reference to an endurance record.
Given that it sounds so much like {ta'}, which refers to an
accomplishment, I can see {ta} being like a very impressive
expression of {ta'}, as one would do if one witnesses a record
being set. This is one of those {paw} vs. {paw'} sorts of
things.

Then again, it could be a {tI} vs. {tI'} sort of thing, meaning
that there is no relationship between the words at all. Who is
to say? Without a canon useage, how do we know which meaning of
the noun "record" is meant by {ta}?

> then why is -Ha' used in these instances?

Most of the time, it isn't.

> 			Marc "Dochlangan"

charghwI'
--