tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 19 16:15:34 1995

Re: }} Q: -Ha'

> > what is the difference between, e.g.,
> >
> > DaSmey Say'		and		DaSmey lamHa'	?
> >
> > If all I had on -Ha' was 4.3. I'd translate them as
> >
> > clean boots				cleaned boots
> > 				(boots that [are] turn[ed] undirty)
>
> Considering that to say something is clean is very near saying
> that it is the polar opposite of dirty, I see the two
> statements as being very close to equivalent, as indeed "clean
> boots" and "cleaned boots" are both clean boots. Still, DaSmey

my point was that Okrands description suggested a
change of state with -Ha' although I'm aware that
he uses -Ha'choH

> Meanwhile, DaSmey lamHa' makes a specific reference to their
> state of being dirty and strongly negates it. It is not that
> they are merely not dirty. They are the opposite of dirty. In

or did they TRANSFORM into the opposite
(sorry, I just want to hold my flag a little longer)

> particular, since the original verb is stative, there is no
> process to be mismanaged. It would not be sensible to refer to
> the process of being dirty to have been imperfectly executed,
I agree
> so instead, we lean towards a more forceful kind of negative
> than a mere {lanbe'}.

we are NOT talking about -be' vs -Ha'
(at least I'm not)

> There is an implication that the shoes were dirty and have been
> remarkably well cleaned, but I see it more as the difference
> between the two similar English sentences:
>
> Wow! Those shoes are really CLEAN!

Say'qu'

> Wow! Those shoes have absolutely NO dirt on them AT ALL!

lambe'qu' (o.k. a bit of a stretch)

> > On a related issue, charghwI' recently used yuvHa'
> > to mean "pull". To me, it sounds like "push wrongly"
> > because in order to "unpush" s.th. you might as well
> > be pushing it back from the opposite side.
>
> This is one of those prepositional things. "Push" can be
> interpreted either as the sensory experience of pressing with
> the hands, or it can be more objectively seen as exerting force
whaddaya mean, more objectively?

> away from the actor. In the former sense, "push" is a
> completely unrelated action because the sensations are totally
> different. Meanwhile, in the latter sense, "pull" is simply to
> "unpush", or to apply pressure toward the actor.

no even then unpush would mean "take back the action of
pushing", with no hint at all wether you pull or push
from the opposite side. favourite misquote: everything
is relative!

> If you were to define the polar opposite of push, you would
> probably choose "pull" rather than "to screw up the process of
> pushing".

Indeed. However, I deny that -Ha' must be the
"polar opposite"

> Meanwhile, if you were to define the polar opposite
> of "understand" you would probably choose "misunderstand"
of course, we agree completely on the use of
-Ha' in such instances, I think

> Okay, lets look at our canon {-Ha'} and {-be'} words:

why -be'? we don't argue about be' do we?

> belHa' "displeased" polar opposite of bel.
>
> You can be in many states regarding pleasure, such that to be
> not pleased is not as stong a statement as to be displeased, so
> "displeased" needs a suffix to set it apart from merely not
> being pleased.

I should say, this also fits my literal (TKD 4.3.)
interpretation
of course to be not pleased is belbe'

> ghomHa' "scatter, disperse" polar opposite of ghom.
>
> There are many states of being grouped, so to actively ungroup
> requires a different suffix than merely not being grouped.

this clearly fits the reversed action def as in
engage <-> dis-engage
of course you cannot dismeet etc.

> jotHa' "be uneasy" polar opposite of jot.
>
> Again, there are many states of calmness...

it might as well mean "turned uneasy"

> jubbe' "be immortal" not jub.

this is a -be' word :(

> lobHa' "disobey" is polar opposite of lob. There are many
> degrees of obedience.

Hrgl!... maybe "to obey wrongly" (yes it's weak)

> naDHa' "discommend, disapprove" the CLASSIC {-Ha'} verb that
> created the {-ghach} suffix. There are many states of approval
> and this is the polar opposite.

I regard this a reversing the action of approval

> parHa'. Again, there are many degrees of disliking. This is the
> polar opposite.

welllll...

> qImHa'. There are many degrees. Polar.

ahh - you are writing s.th. remarkable about
degrees right below:

> QeyHa'. Note: this does not mean to screw up being tight. Note
> also that if you want this to mean to change state to be loose,
> you must use QeyHa'moH, so {-Ha'} does not necessarily imply a
> change of state. It just means polar opposite. There is a
> difference between merely being not tight and being loose. It
> is a matter of degree, which is generally the difference
> between {-be'} and {-Ha'}.

I know the difference between -be' and -Ha', really!
I want to know the differenc between tIn and machHa', between
Say' and lamHa' aso. no question about -be'!

> QuchHa'. Many states. Polar.

or a change of state? just maybe?

> tuQHa'moH. You can dress someone, not dress them or undress
> them.

its the reverse of "to dress", isn't it?
"unwear" seems not very sensible to me.
(which may explain the -moH here)

> yajHa'. Polar.

mis-

> The point is that the canon is very consistent in the
> difference between {-be'} and {-Ha'}.
it better should be! ;-)
> I think that Okrand's
> verbal description of the meaning of {-Ha'} was not nearly as
> clear as the accumulation of his examples.

if not they're meant as exceptions

> It is not that I like trying to rewrite Okrand's language.
I did Not mean to accuse you of such!

> > My worries are, that most people probably only have TKD
> > (not the grammarians on this list) to refer to, if they
> > are to translate s.th. and the description of -Ha' seems
> > quite unambiguous to me.

anyway, I have learned to live with the idea, that
-Ha' is the opposite (smiling innocently)

just what is the diiference between

tIn		and 		machHa'

you say, there isn't any?

then why is -Ha' used in these instances?

			Marc "Dochlangan"

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany