tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 06 18:34:05 1995

}} Chakotay -- what did he say?

Hi. Re: your question about what Chakotay was saying in this week's
episode, I think you are referring to what I transliterate as
"akuchimoya," a term he also used in first season when teaching Janeway
about spirit guides.  Haven't discovered the language it comes from yet;
I assume it's a native American language from the desert Southwest, but
it's always possible that it's just something the scriptwriters made up.
If you can get access to Closed Captioning, it gets printed on screen as
"A-KOO-CHEE-MO-YA" or something similar.  From the way he uses the word,
I would guess that it glosses roughly as "spirit guide," not as the name
of his particular guide, but more as a title.  (I'm drawing that
conclusion because he says the word, then his next sentence has the
pronoun "you" in it; also, he had Janeway use the same word when she was
searching for her spirit guide.)
  Hope this helps.
Teresa Wells
Arizona State University