tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 06 11:05:39 1995

Re: }} Resultative Verb Compounds

According to [email protected]:

> I have been wanting to say:  I cut his head off.  Then I heard on the tape my
> answer.
>
> nachDaj vIpe' 'e' chev

I'm pretty sure that on the tape, what you are interpreting as
the last two words are actually one word: {yIchev}. Okrand was
using two sentences to tell the targh to bite the arm and
separate it instead of one sentence to bite off his arm.

If I were to say, "I cut his head off", I'd probably say
something like:

porghDajvo' nachDaj vIchevmeH betleHwIj vIlo'ta'.

I leave it up to the reader to figure that separation using a
betleH implies cutting.

> Therefore, it appears to me that this is the formula for all resultative verb
> phrases (in Mandarin we call them resultative verb compounds).
>
> Qap wanI'vam 'e' vItul

I don't see any grammatical justification for this. It doesn't
work.

> peHruS

charghwI'
--