tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 05 14:42:18 1995

[none]

>From: Michael=Luevane%Purch%[email protected]
>Date: Fri,  1 Sep 95 14:57:20 PDT

>|> tera'nganpu' yapbe' juHlIj
>|
>|"Your home is not sufficient;  Terrans."
>|If you are addressing a goup of Terrans, and are telling them their home
>|is not sufficient, then the noun suffix would be the plural {-raj}
>|instead of the singular {-lIj}:
>|tera'nganpu' yapbe' juHraj. (Terrans, your home is not sufficient.)
>|

>On this one, I was trying to say "Your home is not sufficient *for*
>Terrans"

>Maybe...

>tera'nganpu'vaD yapbe' juHraj

That's good.  Or you can have fun thinking about other ways to cast the
sentence.  These are not necessarily BETTER, but they're experiments in
rephrasing:

lulo'meH tera'nganpu' yapbe' juHraj

"Your house is not sufficient in order that terrans use it" (the sing. is
implied because of the "lu-").  This, like other castings using "yap", may
leave open the question as to in WHAT the insufficiency lies.  Is it not
big enough?  Not bright enough?  Not pretty enough?  Not strong enough?
You can also replace "lo'" with a more specific verb to indicate what it's
insufficient for (yes, I know for terrans, but for terrans to do WHAT?).
Is it insufficient for them to live in?  For them to hold a party in?  For
them to throw at their enemies' ships?

yapbe'mo' juHraj, lulo'laHbe' tera'nganpu'

"Terrans can't use your house because it's insufficient." (order can be
changed).  This one allows you to answer the question about what they'll
use it for as above, and you can also replace "yap" a little more easily
than above to answer the other question (tInbe'mo'... HoSghajbe'mo'...)

See what kinds of options are out there?

~mark

Back to archive top level