tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 31 10:46:08 1995

Re: DaHjaj

>Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 08:51:47 -0800
>From: "Christian Matzke" <[email protected]>

>On 30 Oct 95 at 8:08, William H. Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

>   So you are saying perhaps pIp refers also to the spines of a
>porcupine or even the spine of a book (isn't that personification?...
>maybe not. Either way I guess the -qoq covers you). I hadn't thought
>of that.

Ugh; I wouldn't buy that.  The identity of those two kinds of "spine" in
English seems pretty arbitrary to me.

>I'm still looking for a translation of cartoonist, anyone? Don't all
>answer at once! :^)

I think words for "draw", etc, were on the wishlist for Okrand that we
compiled at the last qep'a', so you're in good company.

FWIW, when I was translating Ben Jonson's poem to Shakespeare (which
appears opposite the frontispiece of the Shakespeare First Folio), I had a
similar problem.  The poem refers to the picture of Shakespeare opposite
it, and how difficult it was to make to do justice to the original ("This
figure, that thou see'st here put / it was for gentle Shakepeare cut. /
Wherein the graver had a strife / with nature to out-do the life.")  I
copped out using "Del"/describe instead of "draw": ... wIDeltaHvIS nuqaD
Qu' Qatlh / 'IHqu'mo' 'ej Dojmo' chovnatlh.

~mark

Back to archive top level