tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 29 19:49:57 1995

Re: WOTW and test

Anthony Curran writes:
> Is anyone attempting to transcribe the Hol in Way of the Warrior...

Yes.  I have gone through my videotape of the episode and transcribed
every piece of so-called Klingon language I can find.  So far, it's
not very reasonable.

"Kevin A. Geiselman, Knight Errant" <[email protected]> writes:
>On another 'note.'  The song sung by Worf and his father's old friend,
>Huraga, is translated in the novelization as follows:
>        "And the blood was ankle deep...
>        And the River Skral ran crimson red
>          On the day above all days
>        When Kahless slew evil Molar dead!"
>
>Of course, if you remember the music, you can sing this in English along
>with the notes.  It's pretty clear that what they were singing was not
>tlhIngan Hol.

Oh, but it IS!  Well, it's close, anyway.  With the translation you give,
I can put words to the sounds that do a pretty good job of making sense.

    'ej Humta' 'ej Dechta' 'Iw
    'ej Doq SoD taS ghospa' S'Qal bIQtIq
    'e' pa' jaj law' moch jaj puS
    jaj Kahless Molar mIgh HoHchu'

I'm pretty sure I haven't figured out the first line as the author
intended it -- anybody else have a better set of words for what sounds
like "hey jim tah fey dey jah ee"?  The {Doq SoD taS} in the second
line is an unusual way to use {SoD}, but I think I heard it right.
"Skral" is a bit of a stretch, but names can be weird without penalty.
The third line should have its poetic license revoked, but if I warp
{jaj} to fit into a {law'/puS} formula, it appears to translate rather
loosely (!) as something like "thereabouts was more of a day than
superiors were."  Maybe the {jaj} at the beginning of the last line
matches with the {'e'} at the beginning of the third line to bracket
the rest of the third line and turn it into a time reference?  Nah...
Even with the SOV order of the last line, the author managed to get
across the concept of "slew him dead" pretty well.  I was actually
impressed after I picked {HoHchu'} out of the noise.  It does kind of
remind me of the old bug spray commercials: {ghewmey HoHchu' ~Raid}