tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 21 02:29:06 1995

Time proposal for discussion. please read. written 1635 AUCST (????ZULU)

Fellow warriors and and people with identity problems (no offense intended)

There is problem i have started to encounter on this list - mainly time zones.
most of you are Americans, I am Australian. Here is my proposal:
Most countries have three time zones
-> Eastern Standard Time (EST)
-> Central Standard Time (CST)
-> Western Standard Time (WST)
I reckon that all we need to do to make times more clear is to firstly use
those codes.
Ok if you are in US, but what about international mailers? No probs. just add
the country
suffix from your email address. For example:

I am from the Northern Territory of Australia, so my time code is firstly CST,
Central Standard Time, and then AUCST, AUstralian Central Standard Time. US
mailers wouldn't need to use their country suffix; they don't have one - an
arrangement that should suit this 'serv's
subscribers well, since most of you are Americans.

Also, to reduce confusion further, another time reference may be introduced:
the ZULU code. ZULU refers to the time of posting in greenwich mean time. This
allows for international synchroisation with minimum fuss. Here is an example
heading:

On 1250 hours AUCST (XXXXZULU) you wrote that....

note XXXX. I don't personally know the conversion codes for my local timing.
Hopefully, someone here will create a chart of reference. I'll try and get the
ZULU codes myself, but individual Standard Time codes and country suffixes are
something you'll have
to work out yourselves.

I'll tell you what. To the first person who can mail me a verified conversion
chart of this
system for each time zone, or a ZULU chart, I'll send you some flowery mail
and one
Australian dollar (US$0.75 approx). The same to the nutcase who can translate
this mailing into klingon that it may be read by KLI.

If you have any better ideas for timing, let's all hear it!

\ \ \
 \ \ \
  \ \ \ Ripperjack - for the dough, choombatta!
	[email protected]

Back to archive top level