tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 19 08:12:44 1995

Re: Reopening CVC

>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 23:48:47 -0700
>From: [email protected]

>A couple of weeks ago there was a lot of discussion regarding the
>possibilities in constructing Klingon syllables.  Here, I wish to point out
>that Klingon, too, has dipthongs.  CVy and CVw are the two examples.  {lIy},
>which means "comet" is not pronounced with the usual short "i" but with a
>long "iy" dipthong.  Dipthongs are, by definition, the compound of two vowels
>producing a new vowel sound.  Thus, {qaw} is not pronounced {qa:u} but rather
>"cow."

>Next, the glottal stop in Klingon is also a consonant.

>This gives the chart:

>CV
>CVC
>CVrgh
>CD (D = dipthong)
>CDC (the only final C possible is the glottal stop)

True enough, if you look at it that way.  The other writers tended to view
y and w as consonants in Klingon, or perhaps as glides, and not as elements
of diphthongs.  Thus, the table from that perspective looks like:

CV
CVC
CVrgh
CVG' (G = glide [y or w])

It's all in how you choose to name things.

~mark

Back to archive top level