tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 18 12:10:33 1995

Re: Klingon on the Live TV channel, UK

According to [email protected]:

> >DIS law'Daq tera' wISuvtaH.  vaj Doghjeychaj DIlajpu'.
> >

> I wish to solve a question for myself and have chosen your text as an example
> of my own question.  I want to express "for many years."  Should I apply
> {-Daq} as you have done here?  Should I simply say {DIS law' wISuv}?
>
> I eagerly await comments from the experts.
>
> peHruS

My approach is to be as conservative, unpresumptive and
explicit as I can so that anyone with TKD can figure out what
I've said if they encounter a sentence I've written. For your
intent, I would say:

qaStaHvIS DIS law', tera' wISuv.

There may be other ways to say it, but this one is difficult to
top for being clear to just about anybody. It doesn't stretch
any rules. It doesn't push any particular agenda for
establishing new understandings for certain grammatical
constructions. It just says what it says, and it is not very
ambiguous about it.

Note that we now have canon useage of commas, thanks to HolQeD.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \