tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 18 12:02:13 1995

Re: More on HolQeD 4.3

According to R.B Franklin:

> Tue, 17 Oct 1995, ghItlh charghwI':
>
> > ..
> > But an ordinal numer is not a noun. It is chuvmey. If anything,
> > it behaves like an adjectival. That's why I saw its placement
> > as odd unless it is newly being allowed to function as an
> > adverbial. I can't see any time when {wa'DIch} can function as
> > a noun, so speaking of nouns function adverbially doesn't seem
> > to apply here. This is the difference between saying, "When the
> > federation saw the first Klingon ships," (in which case the
> > word order is wrong) vs. "When the federation first saw Klingon
> > ships..." (in which case {wa'DIch} is being used adverbially,
> > which is not described in TKD unless I missed it.)
>
> Technically, it is not an ordinal number, it doesn't have {-DIch} on it.

You and I are not talking about the same word. I'm talking
about the word {wa'DIch}, which DOES have {-DIch} on it. It is
on the card about the Klingon ship which is similar to the
ships which were used when the Federation first saw Klingon
ships. The placement in the sentence is BEFORE {tlhIngan
Dujmey} as I remember it, which is a mistake if it is meant to
refer to "first Klingon ships", but it is NOT a mistake if it
is meant to be used adverbially to say "when the Federation
FIRST saw Klingon ships..."

This is similar to the multi-{je} thing where someone corrected
Lawrence while referencing a different {je}. I wasn't talking
about {tera' vatlh DIS cha'maH wej}. I was talking about
{wa'DIch}.

> maj.  pabvam chu' wImISHa'choHmoHlaH 'e' vIHar.

jIH je.

> > charghwI'
>
> yoDtargh

charghwI'