tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 30 00:46:24 1995

Re: KLBC: A Name

At 18:57 29-11-95 -0800, you wrote:
>peSHIr writes:
>>If you think Hos'etlh is you name, then it's your name. No problem with
>>that, even if "Hos'etlh" would not be grammatically correct Klingon in
>>itself, which it isn;t.
>
>Ignoring the misspelling of {S}, I believe it IS grammatically correct.
>{HoS 'etlh} means "Sword of Strength" or "power's sword", and we normally
>let pairs of nouns be joined as a compound to mean the same thing as the
>two words separated by a space.

Mmm, he gave the translation as "Strong Sword" or something, and I didn't
bother to really look it up, so I figured HoS was (just) the verb "(to be)
strong". Of course I overlooked the fact that HoS is also the noun for
strength. Verb/noun combinations are not correct Klingon, noun/noun
combinations are. You're right.

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level