tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 27 10:21:52 1995

Calendar Ideas

ghItlh Garrett Michael Hayes:
<<<<<
On 20 Nov 95 at 19:15, MR PAUL J COFFEY wrote:
> [...] I have seen non-canon documents that specify, for Klinzhai, a
> 344.14-day year divided into three seasons and 68.8 five-day weeks.
> The day specified is of 28 hours. [...]

Conversational Klingon clearly states that the day is a 24 hour day.
<<<<<
toH!  And the Klingons used a ternary numbering system before,
presumably, they decided to get used to the system higher tech used.
We can either
  (1) say that they changed from 28 subdivisions to 24 for a similar
reason;
  (2) say that their day-night cycle = approx. 28 Terran hours, but they
divide it handily into 24 subdivisions, as we do; or
  (3) ignore the text that mentions a 28-hour day, as non-canonical and
therefore no more for us than an entertaining thought, at best.

I recommend (3).

     nISwI' lo'qanglu'chugh qay' ghu' puSqu'.
     munuQpu'.  vIHoHpu'.  qay'be'.

    tlhIngan veQbeq marqem la'Hom : Subcommander marqem,
                                    Klingon Sanitation Corps
           Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'! : Death to litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level