tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 26 12:11:08 1995

Re: "soup"

 ghunchu'wI'   wrote:

>>bIQDaq vutta' targh
>>Targ cooked on purpose in water.
>
>I read this as "The targ accomplished cooking in water."

You are translating it as the precise word.  I'm using <-ta> in the manner
desribed in TKD.  The  translated sentences in TKD don't  say anything about
<accomplished>.  "This suffix is similliar to <-pu'>, but it is used when an
activity was deliberately undertaken, the implication being  that some-one
set out to do something and in fact did it."  Which is precisely how to make
stock.  You set out to cook meat in water.

I did put <targh> in the wrong place though.

>While this might be appropriate for {Saj ta'mey QIp},

Say what?  "It be stupid pet;'s emperors"?  Did I miss something?

>  it doesn't mean "soup" to me.  Even
>after changing it to {bIQDaq targh vutlu'pu'bogh}, I interpret it to mean
>something like "stewed targ" rather than "targ soup" or even "targ stew."

Have you made many stocks? Or stews?  The main ingredient in stock is water.
 When something is stewed, very littlle water is used. (More often, another
liquid is used.)  Thus the phrase "stewing in your own jucies."  When you
make a stew the meat is already cooked.   Stewing is a flavoring &
tenderizing process.

So actually we're talking about the end product of the cooking, the flavored
liquid.  So targ stock might be:

targh vutta'bogh bIQ

If a targ fell into a geyser.   Then I'd call the geyser <targh vutpu'bough
bIQ>.

>>With a couple of Matzah balls, yum!
>
>pob ghajbe'bogh yIHmey'e' rur "matzah balls"

A tribble without fur?  I didn't know that was possible.  You have insulted
generations of Jewish Grandmothers by comparing the two.  (Well maybe half of
them, I've had some horrible matzah balls.  They could of been used as
projectiles.)

r'Hul

Back to archive top level