tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 25 12:49:24 1995

Re: qatlhbe'

> >>qatlhbe'  {{:)
> >
> >Is this correct Klingon for "Why not?", along the same line that {nuqjatlh}
> >is correct Klingon...?
> >
> >peSHIr
>
> I am not the grammarian, just a student of tlhIngan Hol with a real interest
> in it?  I would not use {qatlhbe'} as "why not?"  I would move {-be'} to the
> verb.  This gives:

I tend to lean against this translation. Let us keep in mind that
"Why not?" is really an idiom of the Englished langauge and
idiom seldom translate well.

How would you translate the Klignon
idiom "I am willing to take off my belt." ?

See what I mean?

> peHruS

david
--
 David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level