tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 23 21:47:52 1995

Re: jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch

bIQHurgh writes:
>Well, {mIpchoHghach} is my translation for "acquisition". (If it doesn't
>mean "getting rich", please let me know.)

I think it's an okay translation, but you misspelled it in your signature.
Take a look -- you seem to be using a verb suffix {-chuH}, not {-choH}.

>My interpretation of TKD is that
>you can't just use a verb as a noun, so {Suq} isn't correct...

Good interpretation!

>and that you
>can't attach {-ghach} to simple verbs, so {Suqghach} is wrong, too.

Okrand tells us that {Suqghach} is understandable, but that it would
sound "highly marked" to a native speaker.  It's definitely best to
avoid this sort of thing.

>What do you think about this?

I'd translate it as {SuqtaHghach} -- the act of continuously acquiring.  If
you wanted to talk about "an acquisition" such as a newly purchased car, it
could be {Suqta'ghach}, and if you wanted to refer to an ongoing process of
acquiring a specific item, it could be {SuqlI'ghach}.  This use of aspect
suffixes is a pretty standard way to use {-ghach} but avoid sounding weird.