tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 22 19:09:13 1995

Re: KLI on the Electronic Telegraph again.

>Well, the KLI make it onto the Electronic Telegraph again, this time on the
>Front page!  It is also much more flattering than the previous mention and
>the article even has a link to the KLI web page.

Where do I send the complaint mail?  For that matter, where can I
find the Electronic Telegraph?

>The Electronic Telegraph  Wednesday 22 November 1995  The Front Page
>...the language spoken by Dr Spock's alien enemies.

"Dr" Spock?  Give me a break.

>..."I am just a sad old Trekky really," she said yesterday...

Maybe "Trekky" is the British spelling?  At any rate, Ms. Karr isn't
doing the language any favors by identifying herself this way.

>   It is now possible to buy Klingon dictionaries...

I think TKD came first, and serious study of the language followed.

> and embark on a two-stage course...

How many stages does your course have, David?

>   even though the language is still evolving, with
>   its author, Mark Okrand, adding to it daily.

"Mark" is NOT the British spelling!  And "daily"?  Do they even check
this stuff before they publish it?

>   In keeping with the aggressive nature of the Klingons the word for
>   hello, nuqneH, roughly translates as "what are you looking at?"

Grrrr... wrong on two counts.

>   Other friendly greetings could include blomHqu - "you are ugly" - and
>   the Klingon equivalent to cheers, Iwlji jachjaj, meaning "may your
>   blood scream".

"blomHqu"?!  At least that stupid sans-serif appendix lets us know when
someone has seen a copy of TKD but hasn't read it. :-)

>   The Klingon Language Institute

This at least is spelled correctly.