tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 17 01:18:27 1995

Re: pongwIj

> As a side note, this runs into a long-running debate on how to use {pong}
> when there are two objects.  In your sentence, "me" and {'etlhqengwI'}
> are both the objects of the verb {pong}.  My position (others may differ)
> is that {pong} is probably used similarly to the ditransitive verb {nob} (to
> give).  One canon example of {nob} being used with two objects is:
> {ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob} (Give me the rokeg blood pie) (PK).  This example
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ jIyay'qu'
> and others lead me to believe that your usage of {pong} in this manner is
> acceptable.
>
> yoDtargh

just to see if I get this right:
let us call the object of a klingon verb which
is indicated by the verbs prefix "direct", all others
"indirect", then english sentences of the form

subject gives recipient (ind. obj.) gift (dir. obj.)

may be translated as either

gift (ind. obj.) recipient (dir. obj.) x-nob subject
recipient-vaD (ind. obj.) gift (dir. obj.) y-nob subject

where x and y denote the prefixes
(subject-him) and (subject-it) resp.
which happen to be the same.

vIQIjlaw'a' neH qoj vIQIjchu''a'

			"Dochlangan" Marc

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany