tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 18:24:12 1995

Re: pongwIj

Wed, 15 Nov 1995, ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':

> tlhinganpu'

Watch the capitalization of "I":  tlhInganpu'

> pongwIj vIwIvta'

maj.

> 'etlhqengwI' tupong tlhIH

This means, "You (pl) name me 'etlhqengwI'."
Since you are giving us an instruction as to what we should name you, you
would use the imperative prefix {HI-}:  'etlhqengwI' HIpong.

The pronoun, {tlhIH} is optional and would typically be used for emphasis or
clarification.

As a side note, this runs into a long-running debate on how to use {pong}
when there are two objects.  In your sentence, "me" and {'etlhqengwI'}
are both the objects of the verb {pong}.  My position (others may differ)
is that {pong} is probably used similarly to the ditransitive verb {nob} (to
give).  One canon example of {nob} being used with two objects is:
{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob} (Give me the rokeg blood pie) (PK).  This example
and others lead me to believe that your usage of {pong} in this manner is
acceptable.

> pongvam mughmeH *Sword Bearer* jatlhlaH tera'ngan

maj.

> ----------
> jIlughqang 'ej jIlughrup
> QaghmeywIj HI'ang tlhIH
>
> -----------
> (I am ready and willing to learn
> Show me my errors)

Here you said "I am willing and ready to be correct".  If you wanted to
say "learn", you could substitute {ghoj} for {legh}.

Here, you correctly used the imperative prefix.  And you are also using
{'ang} as a ditransitive (two-object) verb.  But, IMHO, I think this
usage is fine.

> 'etlhqenwI'

Be sure to spell your name right, 'etlhqengwI'.  {{;-)

ponglIj chu' DawIvta'mo' qaHoy'.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level