tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 06:19:09 1995

Re: Q

nughItlhta' ~mark charghwI' marqoS je:

>"William H. Martin" <[email protected]> writes:
>\ According to Mark E. Shoulson:
>\ >
>\ > ...  I don't like pIqaD all that much.
>\ >
>\ > ~mark
>\
>\ pIqaD qaq law' *Kirk* qaq puS.
>\
>\ charghwI'
>jIQochbe'.  'ach Dochvam vItlhobnIS:
>``The pIqaD is more preferable than Kirk''?  Hmmm.  The English gloss,
>at least, is patently redundant.  Do we have any canon evidence of 'qaq' being
>used this way?  The definition in TKD ("be preferable") seems inherently
>comparative, not requiring the law'/puS construction.  There's no
>indication of how to express the thing to which the subject is preferable,
>but it seems a logical role to be filled by the object: {pIqaD qaq *Kirk*}.

<...vIteqlu'pu'...>

Perhaps the gloss for {pIqaD qaq law' *Kirk* qaq puS} should have read {HoD
*pIqarD* qaq law' HoD *Kirk* qaq puS} ?? Methinks he was punning on
Picard/pIqaD and prefers the Capt. who is secure in his baldness versus one
who feels he must hide his??

veqlarghmo' vIghItlh >}};-)

MHO, your milage may vary
*loy'Ir*mo' vIghItlh >}};-)

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level