tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 02:47:44 1995

Re: Calendar Ideas

> >      Does anyone have a reference anywhere that gives the values of these
> > time periods in Klingon terms?  Has anyone seen a source for names of
> > seasons?
> >

> >     Paul
>
> You presume that Qo'noS HAS seasons. If the axis isn't tilted,
> there would not be any.
>
> charghwI'
The chance of Qo'noS NOT being tilted (axis-perspect here) is very very slim.
I guess you mean that the tilt of the axis has to outweigh the nominal
weatherchange over the year, so that you can feel the season and not have to
look at the calendar to see if it is winter or summer {{:)

No seasons would have a drastic effect on flora and fauna ofcourse. No light-
period-responses from plants, thus no time-of-year responses. Thus no
harvesting problems, thus no wintersleap for animals, less diseases, no
definite periods of reproduction, no peaks and valleys in birth-numbers.
Perhaps the consequences go even further:
Klingons are much better rested, because they don't have to turn the clock
forward or backward an hour twice a year (major advantage if it comes to
battle {{:)
Months won't be named after specific gods with specific traits (cold, death,
warmth, fertility, etc.). Instead, gods will be named after abstract concepts
like honour and love. Vague point, please don't reply to this. Everybody who
has the urge to do so may instead assume himself right.
Klingon siege warfare would be extremely harsh, because humans rely on winter
to break a siege (no food for the attacker) or even harvest-time (all
farmers, about 70-90% of a feudal army, had to go home then). Klingons could
fight all year and thus the defender would loose more often. Thus a castle
isn't worth that much anymore. Thus a Klingon relies on attacking, instead of
defending. Planet-defences will be set up according to this principle.
Because there would be fewer persons/farmers available during the year (at
any point some farmers would have to harvest and overall harvest would be
twice or even three times a year) engines of war would be smaller. This could
mean that space-ships tend to be smaller, or bigger. The latter because
Klingons could be obsessed with trying to make things bigger with fewer
man/klingons)

I'll just stop here. I could go on for hours...sorry lines

jejQIb

Back to archive top level