tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 13 23:12:11 1995

DujHom chu' vIje'nIS

Alan Anderson wrote 95-11-04 23:12:22 EST

{snip}

vagh ben pa' loQ QapHa' luch 'ej muDDaq pey tlhuch luchvam. (*1)

Since {ben} already means "years ago," I would not use {pa'} here as "before,
ago."

My real reason for replying to this post, though, is the use of {tlhuch}.
 Although TKD does not tell us the usage of Verbs, I feel that {tlhuch} means
to "exhaust [resources]."
To me, it does not convey "emit exhaust."  I have not found any words in TKD
to express "emit," "expel," nor "cast."

May I propose a list of words to replace {tlhuch} in the sentence above and
see what comments they elicit.

vo' = propel
ngeH = send
woD = throw away (perhaps discard)
tlheDmoH = cause to depart
Haw'moH = cause to go out/flee
ghajHa' = dispossess
Qol = beam away (perhaps this should apply only to transporter beams, though)
qeDmoH = cause to vacate

Finally, I recommend {muDDaq taQbang pey qeDmoH luchvam}.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
***********************
Another subject from the same post:

vaj vIngevDI' vItI'chugh Huch vIlajbogh law' law' vItI'be'mo' Huch vIlajbogh
law' puS.

I have a feeling that Klingon avoids redundant syllables.  For example, they
probably do not say {qu'qu'} for "very fierce" nor {taHtaH} for "it continues
to exist."  I have even begun to make sure that I put something between {vaj}
and {vaj} for "....the warrior, ... then....."  In the above sentence {law'
law'} just doesn't feel right to me.

I have not seen the experts replies yet to Alan Anderson's posting about his
automobile.
I am interested in reading the comments about that last sentence.

I am sending away for the issue of HolQeD regarding {law'} and {puS}.  It
looks like I really need to read it.

peHruS

Try asking "What color is your parachute?" in Klingon.

Back to archive top level