tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 12 20:19:47 1995

Re: ouch!

I just found something that apparently had slipped through the cracks
when the KLI's mail wasn't working right...

jStIn writes:
>What thought does the empathic verb suffix {qu'} convey?  I've seen it often.

You've read it wrong.  It's the EMPHATIC verb suffix.  It indicates
EMPHASIS.  Think of it as putting the verb in boldface, or in ALL
CAPITAL LETTERS.  It's often translated using "really" or "very":

{jIbIr} "I am cold."  {jIbIrqu'} "I am very cold."
{bISopnIS} "You need to eat."  {bISopnISqu'} "You really need to eat."

An "empathic" verb suffix would probably double the translation of
certain words, like {'oy'} and {Quch}. ;-)  (jIvangmoH veqlargh.)