tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 16:48:14 1995

Re: Klingon CD-Rom

ghItlh qSeroHS:
>I was very interested to hear about the the Klingon CD-ROM, and the idea
>of Klingon speakers being involved in the recording. As someone posted,
>it would be possible for people *not* in the East Coast area to
>contribute, given appropriate recording facilities. If this is the case,
>and you will be utilising non-East Coast speakers, could I suggest using
>speakers with somewhat different accents...ie *British* accents...the
>*original* :) speakers of English...so that all of us over here aren't
>doomed to pronounce our Klingon in an American accent...you might also
>want to speak to Canadians too...

ghogh lo'lu'taHvIS, po'chu'chugh jatlhbogh chovnatlhpu', vaj tlhIngan ghogh
ghaj, 'ej QIch jatlhchu'meH nISbe' *'ame'rIqa*ngan ghogh. lojmItvamvaD puS
jatlhbogh ghuvpu'. SapnIS tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' QaQqu' neH. QaQ chaH,
tlhIngan ghogh lo'laHchu'mo'.

jaS vIjatlh: In other words:

Those who volunteer for this project are to be skilled Klingon speakers to
begin with. Any American or other accents should be absent from their speech
if they are truly skilled. Okrand will undoubtedly coach the volunteers to
eliminate all vestiges of American-tinted speech.

An accent lies in the subtle nuances of the way one speaks one's native
language. Each natural language community has its own unique set of nuances
which must be accepted by foreign speakers. We can recognize a foreigner
speaking English immediately if the subtlest detail of our language is not
adhered to. The same is true of any language. If a group varies the
subtleties of their own speech to a standard, in this case Okrand, regional
dialects will not be a problem. If this is not possible for the Klingon
community, the project is in peril. But, we still don't know enough of the
technology involved here, or the precise functions of their electronic speech
feedback device.

The point of calling for ten volunteers is to choose the cream of the crop,
out of the hundreds of potential Klingon speakers. Those who adapt to the
subtlest standard will not sound American or British or Australian when they
jatlh. The purpose of a feedback device is to let the student know if an
American or other accent is polluting his Klingon or not.

SovlIj yIlaw'moHtaH,
ghuy'Do

Back to archive top level