tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 06:21:25 1995

Re: help!

According to Adam Walker:

> Here is a sentence which I composed.  It is no doubt rather flawed.
> I would like to know if anyone can make sense of it.  Please tell me
> what you think it means and help me correct it.  (I recognize that it
> is completely out of context, but unfortunately the context does
> not yet exist in tlhingan Hol.
>

> SuvwI'pu' law' yaymeybogh Qaw'moHlu' QamtaH ghaHDaq.

I stopped when I hit {yaymeybogh}. {-mey} is a noun suffix.
{-bogh} is a verb suffix. So, is {yay} a noun or a verb?
Quickly scanning further, I see {-lu'} on a verb that seems to
have a definite subject. Also, I see {-Daq} on the last word in
the sentence. Locatives always go at the BEGINNING of a
sentence.

In general, it is better for a beginner to provide the Klingon
AND the English translation so we can then help guide you more
efficiently. You have no idea how frustrating it is to try to
sift through badly written Klingon, trying to figure out what
you were trying to say. It is much better to show both
translations so we can get to the point of your problem instead
of putting all the work on the reader. I'm not going to even
try to translate something with this much basic syntax error.

> Qapla'
>
> Qogh.

charghwI'
--