tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 20:38:33 1995

Re: jIlIH(')egh, etc.

Thu, 9 Nov 1995, ghItlh vanya:

> *Russian* Dajatlh'a'?  *Russian* vIghojchoH. tlhIngan Hol Qatlh law'
> *Russian* Qatlh puS 'e' qaja'.

(When you use verbs of speaking, like {ja'}, you omit the {'e'}.)

*Russian* Hol vIjalthlaH. (Ya mozhno govoryu russkiy yazyk.)
'a qaQoch.  (No ya s vami ne soglasen.)
*Russian* Hol Qalth law' tlhIngan Hol Qalth puS 'e' vIHarbej.
(Ya naverno dumayu, shto russkiy yazyk trudnee chem klingonskiy yazyk.)

> I was entertaining idle thoughts about trying out a Klingon-Russian
> dictionary, then I remembered all the fun we had before, discussing
> whether or not in the 20somethingth century English would be "Federation
> Standard".

Awhile back, someone tried to translate some Pushkin into Klingon.
Unfortunately, Klingon appears to be woefully inadequate when it comes to
translating Russian literature or poetry.  Too much gets lost in translation.

> I seem to recall a thread a while ago about why there should
> or should not be translations of TKD into other languages. I can't
> remember the outcome and I certainly don't want to start the whole ball
> rolling again, but if someone still has the whole thing, or can remember
> how it went, I'd appreciate being reminded (I guess by private email
> unless you want to spam the list with it again {{;-)

TKD has recently been translated in Portuguese and is published in Brazil.

> -- vanya, token Bajoran {{;-/

> Holmey muHoHlI'! HItoD!

jIyajbe'.  DuHoHlI' 'Iv?

> Chris Atherton