tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 12:11:57 1995

     When I post requesting help expressing my thoughts I expect
just that, and I did recieve many creative, helpful suggestions
which I may now sort through, compare and evaluate according to my
needs.  To these individuals I say,"qatlho'!"

     In my original post I included the word "concept" in parentheses
as an explanation for my use of "word" just to avoid time-wasting
am interested only in expressing ideas -- as is everyone else here.

     My approach may, indeed, lead to frustration.  It appearantly
already has -- yours.  I have seemingly made a fatal error in
assuming that the purpose of this group is inquiry, discussion and
exploration leading to discovery.

     If the "weak parts" of the language are ignored they remain
weak.  Any system is only as strong as its weakest element.  I have
seen numerous such "weak parts" pointed out and discussed.  Examples
would have to include a recent item bemoaning the shortage of
adverbs, and similarly, the posts discussing "dance" and "cartoon."
This type of discussion is good for the language.  It only serves to
strengthen it.  If these types of exchanges are not welcomed then the
language stagnates and dies.

     If asking for single words is childish, so be it.  Children are
after all the primary language learners and quite successful at it.
I have successfully used this method to become conversational in
Indonesian, Mandarin and Cantonese.  I am using the same method to
learn Hakka and Taiwanese.

    Single words and/or word parts are the building blocks of the
language.  If there are no blocks -- wherewith to build?  Working
with single words is not futile.  TKD itself deals, in large part,
with single words as does any dictionary.  I do not expect Klingon to
have a single word to concisely express every concept.  English, even
if you knew and used every word in the OED, lacks words for many
concepts.  Try expressing mamihlapinatipe in English.  (If you ask
nicely I'll tell you what it means.)

     I do not wish to precipitate a flame war, but if the use of such
epithets as "obnoxious child" and references to other's skills and
diligence persist such may ensue.

     The differance between bearded and non-bearded men is one of
appearance.  Even so I doubt that there is not a lnguage somewhere
that conciders this a difference important enough to lexicalize.
On the other hand the difference between a mountain and a volcano is
one of function and thus more likely to invite lexicalization.

     As far as "future contributions" are concerned, I have already
made my most significant contribution simply by becoming a member of
this community.  If I never become an expert or even a good
Klingonist, I have still become a vital part of a small, but growing
community.  New and junior members need to be encouraged to post and
to post often, to ask, to seek, to learn.  Use is the key to the life
of a language.

Qapla'

Qogh.

Back to archive top level