tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 20:02:20 1995

Re: Sign languages

(I am alive after all Lawrence, but just barely.  I'll write you a full
explanation over the weekend so that you'll have some interesting
reading when you get back!)

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
> > What we might be forgetting is that sign languages are not only for the
> > deaf.  Both hunters and warriors use signs to communicate with their
> > comrades.
>
> While it's true this is certainly true, one might easily imagine a Klingon
> asking:
> "Where is the honor in sneaking up on your opponent?"

There is a big difference between honor and folly!  When you are on the
hunt and you catch scent of a nearby animal, you do not then run
screaming toward the animal.  Stealth is a much desired trait and an
honorable tactic.  In the same way, rushing headlong onto the enemy's
sword is foolish!  More so even, as you do not only lose the prey.  I agree
that it is dishonorable to attack an enemy that is unprepared, but if
an enemy knows that you may attack and leaves themself vulnerable, then
they deserve to die.  Your enemy is just as capable of creating a covert
communication system as you and it is not dishonorable to use the skills
you have.  Consider, after all, the cloaking device!

janSIy

Back to archive top level