tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 17:36:50 1995

Sign languages

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Adam Walker wrote:

>It is a little known fact that a most inspired Klingon educator,
>/ghal'aDet/, had founded a school for Deaf Klingons near the Capitol City
>on Kronos.  He was put to death by the High Council for attempting to
>weaken the blood of the Klingon people.

What we might be forgetting is that sign languages are not only for the
deaf.  Both hunters and warriors use signs to communicate with their
comrades.  I remember from Linguistics 101 that it has been suggested that
sign languages may have preceded spoken languages on Earth.  A warrior
society like the Klingons may indeed have sign languages of which Worf is
ignorant.

Anthony Curran

qo'ran

[email protected]