tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 02:59:43 1995

Re: Suppletion

> Based mainly on my "torpedo"/"salvo" interpretation, I believe that a
> native Klingon would consider {peng} and {cha} to be distinct concepts.
>
> (For a similar argument in the other direction, does a German
> think "hand-shoes" when considering gloves, or are gloves and
> shoes conceptually unrelated?)
>
>  -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
I'm not German, I'm Dutch.
We consider gloves to be shoes of the hands. The word clearly indicates so:
hand-shoes (hand-schoenen). It is not abbreviated or whatever. We don't
say:'put on your shoes' when referring to gloves. We use the full term. Most
users are, IMHO, aware of the composition of the word, i.e. they know that
gloves are shoes of the hands. In short: they are conceptually related.

Marc "Dochlangan" wrote:
> hmm.. usually I don't think of shoes when I talk
> about gloves. On the other hand - wordplay based
> on this would be quite readily recognized I think.
> there is this classic joke about the wolf-dog and
> the ant-bear...

I don't think of shoes either when I talk of gloves, but I think that that's
comparable to <to compute> and <computers>: I don't think of something that
calculates/computes large arrays of numbers when I'm talking about computers
(I think of the games, internet, graphics and sounds, :} )

jejQIb
(Thanks for the suggestion of dropping the "'")

Back to archive top level