tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 03 09:13:07 1995

Re: jIlIH(')egh, etc.

>Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 07:53:34 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>jej'QIbvaD* ghItlh ghunchu'wI':
> >>>>
>>"jej'QIb" jIH.

><jej'QIb> 'oH nuq?
>A pronoun being used to mean "to be" does not mean "is the same as".
>It can mean either "is a member of a group" or "is in a location".
>You have said "I am *a* {jej'QIb}", not "I am {jej'QIb}."
> <<<<

>jIQoch.  While the examples Okrand gives in TKD 6.3 all fit into those two
>categories, to my mind the way jej'QIb is using the construction fits both
>the letter and the sense of the section.  Imagine the following exchange:

jIQochbe'.  Er... Mark vIQochbe', ghunchu'wI' vIQoch.

I think it's pretty clear that pronouns-as-nouns are fairly normal copulae,
capable of indicating that X=Y.  We have "SoH 'Iv" as canon for "who are
you"; "who" and "you" are plainly in appostion here, and whichever one is
acting as the verb here it's behaving just as Mark claims.  "jIH" *does*
mean "I am the same as" when used as a verb: "tlhIngan jIH" is "I
am-the-same-as a Klingon".  Where did you see mention of membership in a
group there?  "tlhIngan" here means "a Klingon" (which Klingon?  Well, the
one which I am).  It could also mean "I am the Klingon" (say, the one whom
you saw your lady with last night), depending on the context.

I see *no* support for forbidding "jejQIb jIH" as an introduction.  I find
it natural and simple, and at least as easy as "jejQIb 'oH pongwIj'e'".

>  (mangvaD) bu': HoDlI' vay'?

You mean "'Iv" instead of "vay'" here?

>  (bu' 'o'Daq**) HoD: HoDDaj jIH.  nuqneH?

>"HoDDaj" is a noun that refers to only one "thing" in the universe: the
>soldier's captain.  The captain's statement says, "I am [that thing]": "I am
>his captain."

You betcha.

>* The Klingon glottal stop (written as apostrophe) can't come between j
>and Q in Klingon words, and would barely be perceptible (if at all) there.
>I would suggest that jej'QIb drop that letter from the name.  (Until he or
>she does, though, pong'e' lo'bogh 'oHbej pongDaj'e'.)

jIQochbe'chu'

>** "bu' 'o'" is the way I say "behind the sergeant".  TKD gives us no
>words for "area in front of" and "area behind", but we do have the naval
>terms "'et" 'fore' and "'o'" 'aft', meaning the front and rear regions of a
>ship.  I have pressed these words into more general service -- or maybe
>they ARE general, and are just translated with these naval words in
>English because that's how Okrand first happened to elicit them from
>Maltz.  When plowing through a crowded hallway I am apt to growl
>"'etwIjvo'!", and it doesn't seem to matter whether people understand the
>language or not; they get out of the way.  [But in light of recent
>revelations about the use of area-nouns with pronouns, perhaps "jIH
>'etvo'" would be more correct.]

I've long used "'o'" and "'et" for front and back of things, for lack of a
better idea.  But I see >no< reason for "*jIH 'etvo'."  What developments
have you seen that nouns of location don't become possessives the usual
way?  I didn't see any.  Did I miss something?  I think "'etwIjvo'" sounds
fine.  Or maybe HewIjvo'.

(hmm... remembering a comment once from someone looking at a particular
part of someone else and saying "'o' 'IH..." (it's a sentence fragment, a
bare noun-phrase, don't hassle me on word-order).  No, I'm not saying who
or when or with regard to what.

~mark

Back to archive top level