tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 02 00:42:50 1995

Re: Morphology

>I'm curious,
>   Do you (or others) pronounce Qapla' as Qa-pla' or Qap-la' (where
>the first runs the p and l together)? How about puqloD, puq-loD
>(clearly the correct pronunciation) or pu-qloD (maybe only common
>here in the boondocks...)?
>            batlh Qapla' je,

Answer:  I pronounce all Klingon syllables distinctly.  Their syllabic
identity does not change (morph) when joined to other syllables.  The only
exception I make is when I pronounce words adding the term of endearment
{-oy}, without its initial glottal stop.

So, I pronounce {Qapla'} as {Qap}+{la'} and {puq 'oy' } as {puq}+{'oy}.  And,
I pronounce {puq} as {puq} until I add the endearment suffix.  Then, I
pronounce it as {pu}+{qoy}.

This is, by the way, the definition of morphology.

peHruS

Back to archive top level