tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 26 09:56:07 1995

Re: Milk

     On Thu, May 25, 1995 I said:

     snip
     >Let me try a new compound noun.
     >ghuHiq = milk
     >After all it does make ghupu' burp.
     snip

     (Writer's note: I had a big smile on my face while writing this, so
     don't take this too seriously, but don't dismiss it either.)

     I realized I may need to explain my rationalization here. Okrand has
     stated before, that when he wanted a word for blood, he just used the
     sound people made during the floating blood scene in ST6, "'Iw".  He
     seems to like to use this method. i.e.:

     bug = ghew
     baby = ghu
     liquor = Hiq

     So I was going more with the sounds. I also meant it as a little joke.
     The more I think about it the more it makes sense.  Klingon milk (whom
     or whatever it comes from) has got to be stronger than Terran.  <Hiq>
     makes people burp and pass out, so <ghuHiq> makes babies burp and pass
     out.  I can just see it now...

     nursery = ghutach
     day care center = puqtach

     Places where you send babies & kids to drink, fight, and break things!
     I love it! }};-)

     r'Hul

Back to archive top level