tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 25 23:36:36 1995

Re: KLCB: Definitions

On Thu, 25 May 1995, Daniel Boese wrote:

> I just listened to a copy of Power Klingon, and was wondering what the
> definitions of the "4 virtues" of "accuracy, straight-forwardness,
> aggressiveness, and strength" were. I came up with :
>
> accuracy                qarghach
> aggressiveness          vaQghach
> strength                HoSghach

In Marc Okrand's interview, in HolQeD 3.3, he indicates that using
{-ghach} on a bare verb stem is very unusual and would look strange to a
Klingon.  Using {-taHghach} is used to express an ongoing quality for
stative verbs or an ongoing process for transitive verbs.  Thus, for
"accuracy", you can use {qartaHghach} (the ongoing quality of being
accurate).

> but the best I could come up with for straight-forwardness was
>
> straight-forwardness    yuDHa'ghach
>
> which doesn't quite carry the meaning of "up-front".
> Ideas, anyone?

The virtue of straight-forwardness means the Klingon gets strait to the
point and does not engage in pointless small-talk and idle chit-chat.
Failure to get straight to the point is seen as evasiveness and a sign
of dishonesty, so perhaps {yuDHa'taHghach} is an acceptable
choice to represent directness or candor.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level