tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 25 14:51:13 1995

Re: loDHompu'

     On Thu, 25 May 1995 R.B. Franklin wrote

     snip
     >Unfortunately, the TKD doen't give definitions of words. I suspect
     >{Hem} means "to have a proud attitude" and not "to be pleased with,
     >or highly approving of something."
     snip

     The TKD is limiting enough without limiting how to define each word.
     In "The Random House American Dictionary" the first definition of
     "proud" (first of all, its an adj.) is "having pride."  The Webster's
     New Dictionary was along the same lines.  TKD says <Hem = be
     proud(v)>.  So if I wanted to say "I am proud of you" I would use
     <qaHem> <I be proud you>.  What could be simpler?

     >>Oops, I forgot a space. It was supposed to be :
     >>'a DaSaH 'e' tlho' vIghaj.

     >This sentence still confuses me.  You are giving the verb {vIghaj}
     >two objects, {'e'} and {tlho"}.  Are you trying to say {DaSaHmo'
     >qatho'} (I thank you for caring)?

     No, not really.  Let's try this again.

     'a DaSaH 'e' tlho' vIghajmeH

     I meant this to be, "But, I appreciate you caring." or "But, you care
     that(previous topic) appreciation I have for."

     >yoDtargh

     r'Hul

Back to archive top level