tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 02:42:56 1995

Re: -chuq

On Tue, 23 May 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> We know we can use ja'chuq for talks together and that -chuq never takes an
> object.  We have had a lot of discussion about using pronomial prefixes with
> verbs having -chuq affixed.  My question is:  can we say jatlhchuq or does
> this mean that two languages, for example, are attempting to speak each
> other?  Just how does the reflexive work in Klingon?  Does it sometimes mean
> that we speak "together"?

The reflexive, as I understand it, applies to both Type 1 verb suffixes,
{-'egh} and {-chuq}.  {-'egh} indicates the subject is the recipient of
the subject's action:  {jatlh'egh ghaH} (he/she speaks to himself/herself.)

{-chuq} is used for plural subjects when each is the recipient of each
other's action: {jalthchuq chaH} (they speak to each other).  You could
translate {jatlhchuq chaH} as "together" as in "They speak together, amongst
themselves".  You would not translate it as "together" in the sense,
"They speak together, in unison."

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level