tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 21 21:32:43 1995

Re: KLBC: Aesop - Two Fox stories

Sat, 20 May 1995, ghItlh Dep'ong:

> Ha'DIbaH 'ong jechHom je
>
> Dochmeypa'Daq 'elpu' Ha'DIbaH 'ong

"The sly animal has entered a things-room".
Perhaps you mean:  Dochmey law' ngaSbogh pa''e' 'elpu' Ha'DIbaH 'ong.
(The sly animal has entered a room which contains many things.)

> pay' Ha'DIbaH 'ong tu' qab 'e' tu'vIp Ha'DIbaH 'ong

"The sly animal was afraid to notice that a face suddenly noticed the sly
animal." mu'tlheghvamDaq nuq Dajalth DaneH?  (What did you want to say
in this sentence?)

> qab jechHom 'e' tu' Ha'DIbaH 'ong

"The sly animal finds that the small disquise is bad."

> QaQ bInargh 'e' jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong

{jalth} does not use {'e'}, but you do need it after {QaQ} if it is
the object of {bInargh}: bIQaQ 'e' bInargh jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong.
(The sly animal said, "You appear to be good.")  If that is what you're
trying to say, you could also say:  bIQaQlaw' jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong.  (The
sly animal said, "You are apparently good.")

> yab bIghajbe' 'e' jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong

Again, you would not use {'e'} here.

> reHbe' QaQ nargh QaQ
> (Looking good doesn't always mean being good.. I think :) )

Unfortunately, we can't negate adverbs, we can only negate verbs.  This
is a tricky sentence to translate in Klingon.  There a several ways you
might say this:

QaQ 'e' narghlaH vay' 'ach rut QaQbe'.  (Something can appear that it is
good but sometimes it is not good.)
rut QaQbejbe' QaQlaw'bogh vay'.  (Sometimes, something which is
apparently good is not undoubtedly good.)
QaQlaHlaw' vay' 'ach rut QaQbe'.  (Something can apparently be good
but sometimes it is not good.)

----
> Ha'DIbaH 'ong *grape*mey je

You could use {naHHom} to indicate a small fruit or berry.

> SormeyyoSDaq yIt Ha'DIbaH 'ong

Perhaps you could use {ngemDaq} instead of {SormeyyoSDaq}.

> tuj ghaH
> *grape*mey DungDaq legh ghaH

"He looked in the area above the grapes."

> jIH 'ojHa'moHlaHbej ??mey 'e' jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong tuj

{'ojHa'moHlaHbej} need a verb prefix which indicates that the wolf is the
object of that verb.  With the proper verb prefix, you can omit the
pronoun.  In Klingon, pronouns aren't mandatory, they are only used for
emphasis or clarity.  Again, drop the {'e'} when you use {jatlh}.
Also, I wouldn't use two adjectives on the same noun.  I would say:
mu'ojHa'moHlaHbej naHHommeyvam jalth tujbogh Ha'DIbaH 'ong.

You could say {mu'ojbe'moHlaHbej}.
> Sup ghaH
> *grape*mey jen law' Ha'DIbaH 'Sup jen puS

You could say:
naHHommey jen law' Supbogh Ha'DIbaH jen puS.
(The grapes were higher than the jumping wolf.) or

naHHommey chuq jen law' chuq'e' SuplaHbogh Ha'DIbaH jen puS.
(The distance of the small fruit was higher than the distance the animal
was able to jump.)  or more simply:

Sup Ha'DIbaH 'ach naHHommey SIchlaHbe'.  (The wolf jumped but was not
able to reach the grapes.)

> *again* Sup Ha'DIbaH 'ong

Supqa' Ha'DIbaH 'ong.  (The sly animal jumped again) or
cha'logh Sup Ha'DIbaH 'ong. (Twice, the sly animal jumped.)

> *again* *grape*mey jen law' Ha'DIbaH 'Sup jen puS

This sentence poses an interesting problem which we have been debating on
this list recently.  Since the sentence does not have a main verb, we
are not certain where to place verb suffixes.  This is a question to go
on the list of things to ask Marc Okrand.  But you could say:
cha'logh Sup Ha'DIbaH 'ach naHHommey SIchlaHbe'.

> *He did this several times*

SuptaH.  (He continued to jump.)

> *grape*meyvo' yIt ghaH
> qabbej *grape*mey 'e' jatlh Ha'DIbaH 'ong

Omit the {'e'} here.

> ghajbe'wI' lumuSlu' ngeD

{ghajbe'wI'} means "one who does not have."  Perhaps you can say:

vay' lughajbe'lu'bogh lumuSlu'meH ngeD.  (It is easy to hate something which
one does not have.) (Literally:  In order for one to hate something
which one does not have, it is easy.)

> I couldn't find anything in the dictionary food-wise other than
> chocolate, which wasn't really appropriate... :)

As I mentioned earlier, you could use {naH} or {naHHom}.  Most of the
Klingon foods we have names for are meats:  {bIreQtagh} (bregit lung);
{ro'qegh'Iwchab} (rokeg blood pie); {qagh} (serpent worm); {pIpySpach}
(pipius claw); {targh tIq} (heart of targ) and from PK, {to'baj 'uS
lughaDlu'bogh} (stuffed tobaj leg).

> I also couldn't figure out "again", but the word isn't too important to
> the plot. It's the concept of repetition I was working for. Ah, well,
> time to mu'ghom vIje'.

You can use the verb suffixes {-qa'} and {-taH}.  You can also indicate
repitition by adding {-logh} to a number to form an adverbial:
{wa'logh} (once), {cha'logh} (twice), {wejlogh} (three times), etc. (Sec. 5.2.)

> Dep'ong aka Daniel Boese

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level