tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 19 13:00:26 1995

KLBC

I have a friend on America Online who is a romance novelist.  She is working
on a storyline for two klingon characters in which she wishes them, in
tlhIngan Hol, to express love for one another, ie.  The typical "I love you"
sequence we as humans have come to expect.

I have been trying to do this for her myself but have hit a problem.  Love is
only a noun in tlhIngan Hol.  There is no active verb such as in english.
 Hence, I have tried to place in grammatically as "I feel love for you."  The
approximation I have reached is:

Bang qaHotvaD.

or "Love / Feel / intended for" with the qa- prefix to the verb with I as
subject and you as object.

Is this correct?

Althought I don't personally see klingons expressing it this way to one
another, I guess it is a nice attempt to breach the cultural impasse at this
point.  My friend is writing it as a short story which may be posted to the
AOL database at some future point.  Thanks for your help.

<<Who'd have thought this would become the Klingon Lonely Hearts Club.

Back to archive top level