tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 08:10:13 1995

Re: Sentence structure help.

:
:          On taking alot of people's advise, I've been ATTEMPTING to
: translate some of the all tlhingan messages from the list. Is there some
: sort of trick to it, while I can translate each word, putting them into
: english to where they'd make sense it where I'm screwing it up bad. Any
: suggestions?

The best suggestion for learning ANY language is... start thinking IN that
language.

I personally do this:  I look at the first word (typically a noun) and make that
a phrase in my mind, then look for the verb and translate then I look for the noun
after the verb and think that that is my subject... for example:

jIHaD = I study (pretty straightforward)

paq vIHaD = The book, I study it.

paq HaD loD = The book, The man studies it.

I think that if you get into this habit, then you'll start to think in Klingon.
The first noun is the object, next what is happening to the object and then
who/what is doing that to the object.

This also helps when you try to speak to someone.  I, unfortunately, started to
learn by reading, so I'd look for the verb then start translating around it, but
I realized that, this isn't how people are going to speak.  They'll speak the
sentence, so I'll have to keep some things in memory while they do so.

This happens with German (and probably other languages).  In German, you typically
find the verb in the second position, but, in some cases (like past tense), the
verb is split.  One in the second position and then ALL THE WAY AT THE END.  So,
you have to keep all the sentence in mind until the very end.. whew!

Okay... any other questions?  Qapla'!

-majIq

Back to archive top level