tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 18:18:49 1995

Re: Coffee

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

> I received the following message (see below) from
> <[email protected]>, Nathan Nesje.  My first reaction was to send him
> the sad news that we don't have terms for such things.  But then, since I am not
> a coffee drinker (as I believe I've brazenly admitted to this list before) I
> really don't know what "latte" or "cappuccino" even mean!  So, maybe they CAN be
> translated.

Cappuccino is espresso topped with steam-frothed milk.  Espresso is
coffee made by forcing steam through finely-ground beans.

Latte is pretty much the same thing as cappuccino, but more milk is added.
Unfortunately, we don't have a word for MILK!

You could probably call espresso something like {SeSqa'vIn}, but without
a word for milk, I don't think you could come up with a very good
translation for cappuccino or latte.

> Since they're offering a trade of some coffee (which could be brought to the
> qep'a') I thought I'd open it up to any qa'vIn tlhutlhwI'pu' who have an idea.
> Kick it around the list for a while, and then I'll send in a reply.

qa'vIn lumechqangchugh vaj mayqu' 'e' vIQub!  qa'vIn tlhutlhwI'na' jIH.  If
you can get a word for milk out of Okrand, I think we could come up a
suitable translation and score some coffee for the qep'e'.  {{:-)

> Lawrence

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level