tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 23:59:49 1995

Re: KLBC: number suffixes

> >In TKD there is no example of -DIch or -logh
> >following one of the "multipliers" -maH, -vatlh, etc.
>
> >So can I say wa'maHDIch for tenth, or do I have to
> >use wa'maH paghDIch?
>
> Eeg.  I'd definitely say "wa'maHDIch".  After all, -DIch is added to a
> number, right?  And wa'maH is a number, right?  You don't have to say
> "?wa'maH pagh paq" for "ten books," the wa'maH is a number.  A compound
> one, perhaps, but a number.  Similarly wa'maH wa'DIch for "eleventh."
>
> ~mark

Now that's the point: you see wa'maH as a number,
while I see it as nuber+suffix. So I was unsure about
whether or not all suffixes in 5.2. belong to the
same class in the sense that there cannot be more
than one on any number (pagh, wa', cha' ... Hut).
Like you wouldn't say wa'maHvatlh or Soplu'laH

But I don't have problems accepting wa'maHDIch
as correct - just wanted to make sure, thanks.

			Marc Dochlangan

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany