tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 09 12:43:37 1995

Re: RE:What did she say?

>Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 14:26:30 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>In messages dated on 05/09/95 you all said:
>>petaQ... TKD p.178

>Thanks guys, I couldn't tell what she said.  For once you are all in
>agreement! {{:-) But to me, isn't "You are strange" kinda dippy for
>Klingons?  I take it as a compliment.

>r'Hul

One would think so... But bear in mind that "petaQ" here isn't the same as
the sentence "You are strange", though it's the same in form (and who
knows, maybe originated from it).  "petaQ" here is an epithet, something
you call someone.  It presumably behaves like a noun in the sentence.  You
can't necessarily presume that words which look like they decompose into
other words mean the decomposed meaning.  "understand" in English has
nothing to do with standing under anything, and "delight" has nothing to do
with making darkness.  It's one of those things.  I wouldn't think calling
someone a life-support system (yIntagh) is an insult, but it is.  I would
be wary of reading too much into what may be coincidental resemblences.

~mark

Back to archive top level