tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 08 14:02:58 1995

Re: KLBC I'm confused (was: Re: Transitivity)

On Mon, 8 May 1995, Steve Weaver wrote:

> Would these not require the {-wI'} suffix (one who is, one who does, thing
> which does) ?? ie, {jIHoH} "I kill", {jIHoHwI'} "I am a killer". Much like
> the "person" ending in ASL to make "Bake" into "Baker" (a person who bakes)

no.  not quite.  in the entire TKD, i have seen no indication that <-wI'>
can be used in conjunction with a pronominal prefix.  i don't see a
specific rule prohibiting it, but it doesn't make sense to put <-wI'> on
something like <jIHoH>.  you'd end up with <*jIHoHwI'> "one who is
I-kill".  makes no sense.

<HoHwI'> "one who kills" makes sense.  right now, i can't make sense of
anything that uses both a prefix and the <-wI'> suffix.  if there is a
canon example of this, i'll gladly accept it, but i have yet to see any.

--naQ'avwI'

*&* naQ'avwI':  batlh reH qa'vIn'a' toy'rupchu'qu'taHjaj ghaH!
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven / naQ'avwI' / http://sunsite.unc.edu/quack

Back to archive top level