tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 09:22:37 1995

prepositions and verbs

I've tried to heed some good advice I received when I first signed on
here.  "Don't think in English".  It's good advice when studying any
language.  Many verbs which use prepositions in English can be
recast into English verbs which do not.

ie <rap> instead of "be the same as", use "equal"
   <Da> instead of "behave in the manner of", use "emulate"
   <ghoS, jaH> instead of "go to, etc", think "approach"

Most of what we would call "prepositional" verbs are just due to our
choice of English words.  The actual activity doesn't change.  I agree
that many verbs in tlhIngan Hol can probably take direct objects.  If
we stop translating everything into English and think conceptually,
many of these problems become moot.
naghHomvo' HuD wIchenmoH.

Brad

Back to archive top level