tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 07:21:31 1995

"speaking" ASL

I'm sorry.  Sometimes I don't control myself.  Although I DID put a smiley
on my tasteless comment, I admit it was out of bounds.  I thought of using
the definition of {jatlh} = "make speaking sounds" as a defense, but that's
not how we usually mean it here anyway.  I claim to "speak" Klingon, but I
usually merely read and write it.  While I DO "hear" the words in my head,
rarely do I actually make noise.  I apologize, and it won't happen again.

I indeed AM serious when I ask about ASL vs. Signed English.  I know of two
occasions when an "ASL class" was offered but what was actually "taught" was
Signed English.  The people teaching the class apparently thought that Signed
English WAS the same thing as ASL (thus the "A" for "American") and what
everyone else calls ASL was simply "Sign Language."  Sadly, most people I
know don't know the difference either.

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
(ghunchu'wI')       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level