tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 20:44:04 1995

Re: To be or not to be...

On Mon, 1 May 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> "That is the question."  Sounds simple, right?
> So why does this simple sentence cause so much grief?
> I think the action is missing from the English translation. :-)
> Recasting into an active form, I get "One must decide it."
> {taH pagh taHbe'. wuqnISlu'.}

hrm.... ghunchu'wI', i think you're on to something here.  i think you've
got the right idea for the *concept* of the english.... now put it into
*context*.

now, i'm not overly familiar with Shakespeare (and Hamlet even less), but
i wonder if Hamlet is not here referring more to himself than anything
else:
<taH pagh taHbe'.  'e' vIwuqnIS.>
(you didn't use <'e'> or <net>; i'm not sure if it was a conscious
omission or not on your part, but i'm just adding my own twist to your
recast.  or is there some reason i'm missing not to use <'e'> here?)

true, Hamlet's speech seems to be addressing the human universal, but
obviously it refers to himself as well.  i wonder which the Klingon
should reflect?

> -- ghunchu'wI'

--naQ'avwI'

*&* <yIqIm!  *'InIgo' *montoy'a 'oH pongwIj'e'.    *&* Silauren, Half-Elven
*&*         vavwI' DaHoHta'.  yIHeghrup.>          *&* naQ'avwI'
*&*                     --from the Princess Bride  *&* [email protected]
*&* There's only ONE god!  He is the SUN god!  RA!  RA!  RA!!!

Back to archive top level