tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 06:45:01 1995

pagh no'lI' (was: Re: pagh (was latlh))

On Sat, 29 Apr 1995 01:08:52 -0400 ghItlh janSIy:

>On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, yoDtargh wrote:
>> But if I wanted to say "no or zero ancestors", it would be {pagh no'}
>> because numbers precede the noun they modify.
>
>So, what I get from this whole discussion is:
>
>pagh no'  -  no ancestors
>no' pagh  -  none of the ancestors
>no'lI' pagh  -  none of your ancestors
>pagh no'lI'  -  your (theoretical, but non-existant) ancestors
>
>I know that although grammatically correct, the last sentence doesn't
>make any sense.  After all, how is it possible to not have ancestors?
>And why would any sane Klingon even talk about something that doesn't
>exist?  These are, however, the translations for these phrases, qar'a'?

IF you were "bragging" about you ancestors, I might make reference to {pagh
no'lI'} as an insult. How does our resident Curse Warefare expert feel
about this, ~mark??

         targhlIj yab tIn law' pagh no'lI' Hoch yabDu' tIn puS

vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level