tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 20 06:20:39 1995

Re: qeylIs ghaH 'Iv?

>ghItlhpu' "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]> (Subject: Re: KLBC: Correct
>Word..?):-
>
>> Kahless dropped a lock of his hair into the lava of the Kri'stak Volcano,
>> quenched it in the waters of Lake Lursor, and forged it into a weapon and
>> used it to kill Molor. He named this weapon {batlh 'etlh} ("The Sword of
>> Honor"). I believe {betleH} is a contraction of that word, used to describe
>> the type of weapon traditionally used by Klingons.
>
>Excuse my ignorance, but is Kahless/qeylIs a Klingon alive at the time of the
>Star Trek events, or a legendary ancient hero, or a god, or what? Which book
>or episode describes Kahless and the legends that seem to exist about him?

Here are four stories that have come out of TNG episodes.  They will give some
background on Kayless.  Notice one is the story given above.  Note the mythical
proportions attributed to Kayless in the misc. story.

The Fool and the Wind

Long ago a storm was heading for the city of {Qinlat}.
The people sought protection within the walls.
All except one man who remained outside.
Kayless went to him and asked what he was doing.
"I am not afraid.
I will not hide behind stone and mortar.
I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." he said
Kayless honored his choice and went inside.
The next day the storm came and the man wass killed.
The wind does not respect a fool.
Do not stand before the wind!

The Story of the Promise

When Kayless had united our people and given us the laws of honor,
he saw that his work was done.  One night he gathered his belongings
and headed to the edge of the city to say goodbye.  The people wept.
They did not want him to go.  Then Kayless said "You are Klingon.  You
need no one but yourselves.  I will go now to Stovokor, but one day I
will return."  Then he pointed to a star in the sky and said "Look for
me there, on that point off light."

Misceleanous story told by Worf to young Klingons

Kayless held his father's lifeless body in his arms.  He could not
believe what his brother had done.  Then his brother threw his father's
sword into the sea, saying if he could not possess it, then neither
could Kayless.  That was the last time the brothers would speak.
Kayless looked into the sea and wept.  For the sword was all he had
left of his father.  The ocean filled with his tears and flooded over
the shore.

The forging of the BetleH

Kayless went into the mountians, all the way to the volcano at Kristat.
There he cut off a lock of his hair and thrust it into the river of
molten rock that poured from the summit.  The hair began to burn.  Then
he plunged it into the lake of Lusor and twisted it into this sword.
After he used it to kill his brother he gave it a name, batlh'etlh,
the sword of honor.

              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre